Disney...bought Lucasfilm? Nooooooooo!!!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Disney...bought Lucasfilm? Nooooooooo!!!!

Post  Chukha-Trok76 on Tue 30 Oct 2012, 8:43 pm

So by now, the (in my opinion) dark news has surfaced: the future of all things Star Wars is in the four fingered gloves of...mickey mouse. Yup. Disney officially aquired the legal, marketing, film, and franchise rights to Star Wars through Lucasfilm. George Lucas feels like his story is "in the right hands." Disney is super excited and plans to start work immediately on the sequels of Episode Six, Episodes 7-0. With more to come. I know we have Star Wars weekends at Disney. and Star Tours. But letting the House of Mouse along with Pixar take over the beloved Star Wars franchise? Jeeeez. I dunno. They point out the success of the Marval franchise now that Disney owns it. But...I dunno. I don't wanna see Pixar-ized Star Wars or disney-fied Star Wars! all cutesy and Randy Newman singing about friendship and huge eyes and cookie cutter chracters all looking the same!
...Okay, I hardly ever "angry nerd" rant. I'm finished. For now. But what are everyone else's thoughts? Is Disney the Chosen One to take over Star Wars? What do YOU think?
I have a bad feeling about this.
But they might make new Droids and Ewoks!
Chukha-Trok76

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Disney...bought Lucasfilm? Nooooooooo!!!!

Post  dmeluzio22 on Wed 31 Oct 2012, 10:29 am

I may not agree with you but I do see where you are coming from.

The 35 year old and long time "old school" Star Wars fan in me sees your point. The father with 3 kids who love going to Disney on vacation loves this.

It is kinda like Jar Jar.... the old school side of me did not like him. However, my kids love him so how can I say I hate him? lol Plus, to be honest I am an Ewok lover and back in the day lots of older diehard SW fans hated them saying they were too soft sided.

One thing I can say is Kathleen Kennedy who is now in charge of the movies per say worked on Poltergeist, ET, Goonies, Back to the Future, Indiana Jones, Jurrasic Park, Gremlins, and more. So at least she has a pedegree to her name that I can say I like.

I think the way to look at it right now is... time will tell. We need more details.

I am excited for new movies, toys, etc. I just hope it is done right. Again, time will tell...
dmeluzio22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  darth_sidious on Wed 31 Oct 2012, 5:44 pm

I honestly thought the Star Wars universe was going to take a break within the next few years - and now the opposite appears to be happening. Perhaps Lucas saw things slowing down and allowed someone else to take the helm in order to ensure the longevity of his creation. I never thought he'd sell his company, but even the "creator" will be gone at some point, and knowing Disney - this franchise will continue forever. The prospect of seeing new SW movies is exciting, not only as a fan myself, but I am happy for the next generation of fans. My only hope is that Disney doesnt turn the SW universe into some G rated, kid friendly, story full of teenagers. I have nephews, who watch those shows / movies and some of them are utterly mind numbing to watch as an adult. I am curious to see where they will take the SW universe in Episode VII, seeing as the saga ended with the redemption and death of Anakin Skywalker in Episode VI...
darth_sidious
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  James on Thu 01 Nov 2012, 8:50 pm

I'm excited! I was getting kind of worn out on Star Wars, but this news got me excited again. I was born before Star Wars began, so the original trilogy is what I would consider my trilogy. My oldest son was born a year before the prequel trilogy, so that's the Star Wars of his time, and now my daughter who is going to be born next month will grow up with the sequels! Makes me feel old! I don't mind too much if the movies are geared toward kids, since the older ones probably grabbed all of us when we were kids. My guess is that they will be similar to Pirates of the Caribbean, with some things that would be scary for little kids, but for the most part fun for the whole family.
James
Founder
Founder

View user profile http://droidsandewoks.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Chukha-Trok76 on Fri 02 Nov 2012, 1:23 am

Okay...so I've had a couple of days to really reflect on this new thing. I guess it might not be too bad. I do share Darth_Sideous's opinion of the Disney shows on Disney Channel. Just...ugh. HOWEVER...Disney is a multi-BILLION dollar, family oriented, old, company who are not entirely fools. They own ABC, ESPN, and Marval. And now Lucasfilm's stock. That being said, I hope they'll respect the property they spent 4.5 billon on, and follow in the tradition already started. And folks are right. This brings Star Wars (which was dying) to life again for an entirely new generation of kids! Which is a great thing! The Hasbro toys will undoubtedly keep coming and new characters, vehicles, stories and toys will also keep coming1 Maybe even Droids and Ewoks have a new shot now! R2-D2 Jumping Ewok So Star Wars isn't ended. For some lucky younglings not yet born and other wee ones, Star Wars is only beginning! After much consideration, I'm glad! The Force will be with us...always! It'll just wear mouse ears! HA! Very Happy
Chukha-Trok76

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  darth_sidious on Fri 02 Nov 2012, 12:06 pm

With Disney in control, I think there is a better chance of seeing Droids & Ewoks on DVD / Blu Ray. We've asked Lucasfilm to release them for years, and they have been sitting on their hands. Recently, they mentioned putting the episodes on their website, later only to retract everything and say they were only gauging interest among fans...
darth_sidious
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  EwokWizard on Thu 28 Feb 2013, 3:22 pm

I have to say, I died a little inside when I heard the news. I love Disney's work. It's undeniably some of the finest animation and children's entertainment available. But to find out that the man who was kicked out of the academy for putting the credits after his movie, who's first movie was about a bleak corporate controlled dystopia had sold his company to the mega cultural monopoly of the western hemisphere disturbed me more than any of the choices he ever made in the prequels.
Lucas got accused of being sold out many times. Now he has...literally.

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm as excited as anyone about the new movies. Especially since they're what I think we all wanted in the first place...sequels. And hopefully one of the standalones is a Boba Fett movie. A safe bet I feel.

So my dislike of this turn of events is a philosophical one. Not one driven by fear for the franchise. I just really don't want to see a magical castle before the crawl starts. Hopefully they wont do that. At the end of the day we always have the original trilogy and everything published before 1999, haha.

It does seem more likely now that Droids and Ewoks will be released on DVD though!! Which is a big bonus.
EwokWizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Chukha-Trok76 on Fri 01 Mar 2013, 6:01 am

Well, after much thought and philosophical inner debate, here's where I (currently) stand in regard to the whole "Disney bought Star Wars" deal:

1. It WAS dying anyway, perhaps Disney will re-vamp Star Wars for an entirely new generation, and not kill it for us OT oldsters. I hope. I mean, ah, after all, they did good with, um, Marvel, right? Right?...

2. I am interested to see just how J.J. Abrams, and Disney will do the spin off films with Yoda and Boba Fett. Hopefully they'll not be crappy animation. Hopefully suck they will not! I'm a little sick of the CGI crapimation here lately. Everything looks cookie cutter same. Hopefully a live action series of films with minimal but amazing CGI effects. Got that? Minimal.

3. Disney loves cute. Their entire Empire (see what I did there? Wink ) was built on a cute, talking, anthropomorphic rodent! And they have supported Star Wars for many years now, what with Star Tours and Star Wars weekends and whatnot. The way I see it, Ewoks+Droids= cute. Ewok green Cute =$$$$$. R2-D2 So the possibilities are there for us fans and collectors (and kids, and woklings) to get more cool Droids and Ewoks merchandise in the near future, including, perhaps both series released on Disney DVD and Blu-Ray. *Insert annoying Disney voice-over announcer* "That WONDERFUL Disney magic, you'll NEVER forget!" Rolling Eyes

4. I AM looking forward to seeing Harrison Ford and Mark Hamill reprise their respective roles as Han Solo (geriatric pilot) and Master Luke Skywalker (back in HIS days, there wasn't no "medichlorians" crap, dagnabbit!") So who knows. Perhaps Peter Mayhew will grace our presences as everyone's favorite walking carpet! "Rrrawwllllrrr!"

So I'm tentatively looking forward to it all. Buuttt...

"Hard to see, the future is!" Yoda
Chukha-Trok76

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  EwokWizard on Fri 01 Mar 2013, 12:21 pm

I'm happy with who is in charge of the Lucasfilm stuff at the moment. I don't remember her name. Sorry. But JJ was a disappointing choice for me. Not that I didn't enjoy Star Trek 09 (I know I'm bringing Trek into a SW forum) but it didn't feel anything like ST. I dunno how many of you guys are also ST fans, but considering that I'm wary because that's just as a big franchise with just as crazy a group of fans.
EwokWizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  dmeluzio22 on Wed 10 Apr 2013, 5:59 pm

Sounds silly but seeing Hamill, Ford, and Fisher reprise their roles (even if in a limited capacity) would be worth it for me.
dmeluzio22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top